Posted on: January 27, 2021 | General News
WCA is turning 70 this year and we are still going strong in 2021!
Some of our recent accomplishments include:
- First ever virtual AGM as we dealt with keeping Members involved during a pandemic
- Paving of Falcon South Shore road & townsite
- Relocation of Hunt Lake trail away from cottage area (and increased parking)
- New Water treatment plant at Big Whiteshell (plus a dock replacement & repairs to the other).
- Having RCMP provide a crime report for each edition of the Echo
- Initial steps to expand the citizens on patrol program throughout the Whiteshell
- New play structure at Brereton
- Oversight of the South East Whiteshell Fire department fee increase proposal & the North Whiteshell Fire department creation proposal
- Engagement with MB Hydro – Water control on Winnipeg River and Slave Falls Dam Rehabilitation
- Gravel repairs at both Nutimik & Brereton
- Finalization of a new cottagers handbook – expect to see final product in mid 2021 (finally)
- Attend Lake of the Woods Control board meetings (Winnipeg River water levels)
- Oversight of the new Brereton waste facility, insisting on improvements to it, convincing to add a facility at Jessica. Participation in the other new facilities & waste initiative overall
- Continued involvement in the water control structures at Betula, Caddy & Falcon
- Intervention in the proposed storage site at Star Lake for Cottage based businesses and then the creation of a working group to find a long term solution that works for cottagers.
- Numerous discussions on the need for dredging at both Nutimik & Falcon & the replacement of the Museum at Nutimik
- Getting Parks to assist us in convincing MI of the needed upgrades to hwy #307 & #44