Posted on: November 7, 2018 |
Notice to the Winnipeg River Cottagers:
- Due to wet fall water levels on the Winnipeg River have increased by about a 1.5 feet since the end of the summer.
- Water levels on the Winnipeg River are still in the normal range for this time of year.
- Further increases in water levels of up to about 0.4ft are likely as the outflow from Lake of the Woods is being increased on November 8, from 700 to 800 m3/s.
- The purpose of the outflow increase is to lower the Lake of the Woods level quickly before freeze-up begins so that the flow in the Winnipeg River can also be reduced before ice begins to form.
- The outflow of 800 m3/s will be held at this for two to three weeks after that Lake of the Woods outflow will be reduced by approximately 100 m3/s per week, to reach relatively normal winter outflows between 500 and 600 m3/s before the end of December.
The situation may be monitored them by looking at the following websites:
- Lake of Woods Control Board – Basin Data:http://lwcb.ca/waterflowdata.html Click on Winnipeg in Manitoba)
- Whiteshell Cottagers Association Hydro Weekly Forecast for the Winnipeg River 2018 Season :
- https://whiteshellcottagers.com/whiteshell_news/hydro-weekly-forecast-for-the-winnipeg-river-2018-season/ (Until the end of the open water season)
Neil McMillan – chair
WCA’s Water Levels Committee